Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harold Davis Harold Davis is offline

Default looking for a decent mechanical alarm clock

Adrian wrote in news:m23avr$orb$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

OK, so the OP wants a mechanical Westclox-style alarm clock, but the
modern owner of the brand name just produces poor quality rubbish,
instead of the original high-quality clocks that go on forever, right?

Maybe there's a solution...

Buy an original one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=westclox
+alarm&=&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4

Yes. Been considering that. Thing is, they don't quite go on forever, just
about 30-40 years.

As for a newly made one, there seem to be no manufacturers on the other
side of the Atlantic and only one in Europe, namely Sternreiter in Serbia:

http://www.sycamoreclockshoppe.com/AlarmClocks.htm

(That's a retailer's site; couldn't find one for Sterneiter themselves.)

The Sternreiter ones have mechanisms which are all brass and steel, but
even they get mixed reviews.

Harry

PS Some people buy quartz cuckoo clocks these days. Don't they have any
feel for how the weights work, for the engineering and craftsmanship? Each
to his own, I suppose. But I think I live on a different planet from people
who get annoyed when a clock goes "tick tock"!