Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Another job completed

On Sunday, November 2, 2014 4:51:59 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Well I sure wanted the towers to stand by them selves but the customer
wanted crown molding, and that was a good thing for appearances sake. I
did not want to have to deal with attaching the crown to the towers
after delivery as something would have gone wrong. ;~) Rather than
leave it up to chance I make it all one unit.

I like it. Always, nice job.

As for as molding vs separate crown: A design idea - a separate crown, not permanately attached to the towers, etal., but just sits on top, held in position with non-glued dowels, pins or a recessed fitting, of some sort; If the SketchUp mantle pic is correct, matching the crown's design, to the mantle, would have coordinated the overall view of the two. Would the mantle/surround happen to be made of white oak, also (just wondering)?

I would have had confidence in your work, Leon, not to have had anything go "wrong" with either an attached crown or a separate crown. I would think, though, the assembling of the additional (and awkward?) weight of a separate crown, that high up, would be a bit of a task, even with a little help. Though I have not built it yet, I'm anticipating this kind of assembly difficulty with the separate crown for my entertainment center, 12' long and about 24" deep, even with the expected help I hope to get.

Sonny