Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brake pedal goes half-way to the floor, only the first time

On 11/3/2014 12:36 AM, J Burns wrote:

Disabling brakes one wheel at a time can quickly isolate where the
problem is by elimination.

Those two blocked lines are the only failures I remember. It was a
European car from the early 1970s. I may have found the cause:
corrosion at a fitting gradually squeezed the rubber lining together.
(Maybe the rear lines used a different kind of fitting.)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/internal-flexible-brake-line-failure-finally-happened-me-21019.html

Shop manuals always seem to say to hang a caliper by a wire so its
weight isn't on the line, but I've read that mechanics often let
calipers dangle on brake lines. Who's right?

Manual is right, mechanics are wrong. That may
be common practice, but that doesn't make it
right.

-
..
Christopher A. Young