Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I now know why I stopped using dowels

woodchucker wrote in
:

Yep, I wound up planing the edges down by hand, so I can now use the
plate joiner. Was not looking to do that originally.
Now I have a good clean joint. I am certainly worrid about the
longevity of this since it will shrink and expand..
But this is a 22 year olds idea of a night stand, when he finds a
woman and settles down, this will go into the basement with his other
hockey gear.

I used to play too... His speed skating though has made him extremely
fast. He's a defensive player....

It'd be interesting to see how hockey sticks in that application move
over time. They usually start straight and stay that way. I left a
couple old ones outside for a while and they haven't moved.

Did you use all wood, or have a mix of wood and composite? Many
composite sticks are hollow all the way down, so you've got maybe 3/16-
1/8" of material to hold a fastener. I wonder how that would work with
biscuits. (You might have to use "Lew Glue" aka epoxy to hold things
together.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.