Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Hot Water Options

On 11/2/2014 11:20 AM, Dave C wrote:
My son/ wife live in Connecticuut, in an area where natural gas is
not available. He has (had) a oil fired boiler, that provided both
heat AND hot water.

Most recently he has added a pellet stove insert, that WILL provide
(most of) their home heat. He is now considering a tankless water
heater, thus stop using that boiler for (only) their hot water.

Would an electric, tankless Water heater be a viable option ?? (The
oil boiler would then be a Back Up home heating option, but not used
daily/ year round).

He has spoken with a contractor. The contractor recommended a new,
"Expensive Propane Hot water install. That does not seem viable to
me, given that they use a limited amount of hot water daily.

Considering our electric rates in CT, I'd never consider electric for
anything. I'd look at propane, but I'd look t other options using the
existing or a new oil burner

A few years ago, I had a System 2000k boiler and hot water tank
installed and my oil bill decreased by 39.7% the first year. There is a
heat exchanger that uses the oil fired boiler with a separate zone.
The tank is well insulated and the boiler will not go on unless you run
the dishwasher or take a shower.

www.energykinetics.com

If he has a single unit like I had, it is very inefficient. Used to bug
me to lay in bed on a hot August nigh and hear the boiler kick on to
heat the water that would not be used for hours. No more.

I have a spreadsheet and using degree days I've tracked my oil use for a
few years Much more economical than the old systems. My house was
built in 1978 so it was ready for an upgrade.