Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N[_2_] N8N[_2_] is offline

Default Brake pedal goes half-way to the floor, only the first time

On Sunday, November 2, 2014 9:07:35 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, November 2, 2014 8:11:31 AM UTC-5, N8N wrote:
Supposedly these are one of the few things that Sears sells that are still worth it... apparently the same as S-K, Blue Point etc.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-hose-...ktRedirec t=y

Or, the plastic ones from Harbor Freight work fine.

Lots of guys just use flat jaw vice grips but I don't like doing that.

nate

I'd like to see opinions from auto manufacturers one using these on
brake hoses. My concern would be that you run the risk of damaging the hose,
possibly resulting in later failure. And even if you did use them to pinch
the hoses, I would think they would cut off the fluid while you changed a
caliper. I tend to doubt they are going to hold pressure enough to test
the brakes with pedal pressure for functionality.

I actually agree with you; I have used them but would prefer to use a pedal jack to e.g. change a caliper. It's good to have them but I only use them when nothing else will do what I need it to do.

I don't know about the plastic ones but the metal ones should hold pressure in the situation the OP describes.

nate