Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default devices of unecessary complexity

Ed Huntress on Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:48:16
On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:48:01 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Ed Huntress on Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:35:46

Or, as they used to say at GM, "Any damned fool can design a
carburettor for a Rolls-Royce. It takes a genius to design one for a
Chevrolet."

Or the tongue-in-cheek motto applied to Mercedes-Benz: "Never use two
parts to do a job when you can get away with three." g

OTOH, when you have three parts, you can replace one of them. B-)

Nowadays, we have modules which are plug and play, do multiple
functions, and can't really be repaired. Not cost effectively,
compared to removing and replacing.

I don't know about the cost effectiveness. I've had this conversation
with Tier 1 automotive supply-chain engineers -- me being in line with
your thoughts, and the frustrations of not being able to fix many
things these days -- and they've pretty well convinced me that making
things repairable at a flesh-and-bones level is not at all cost
effective with today's engineering.

I don't know. Sometimes I miss my old VWs and MG, which I could fix
while on the road. OTOH, I now own two 10-year-old cars that have
never needed a repair.

My suspicion is that they're doing it right. Nostalgia for fixing and
adjusting my S.U. carburetors (carburettors, I guess) on my mother's
kitchen table isn't enough to overcome the fact that I had to do
*something* with my old cars almost every week.

There is the one side which says "make it good, and get it to
last". There is the other side which wants it "soon" to last "long
enough". I recall reports of a determination by various War
Department Planners which determined that the "life expectancy" of
combat aircraft was limited to N hours. Ergo, it was not "cost
effective" to build aircraft which would "last" for 2N hours, if half
the useful life was not going to be used.
And there is the story of Henry Ford, who sent Engineers out to
the junk yards to find the parts which weren't breaking on his
automobiles. Those parts were "over built", so they could be less
"well made", and saving the Company money in the process. What's the
old saw - that eighty percent of the cost is in the next decimal
place.
--
pyotr filipivich