Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default (Totally OT question): The effects of extreme cold....hypothermia etc

Uncle Peter wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Uncle Peter wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Uncle Peter wrote

2 degrees is required to MAKE you shiver. This (along with reduced
blood flow to your skin and brown fat cells becoming active) prevents
it going much further. You need to lose 17C to die.

and you will die, shivering just means you might last a little longer.

It's very difficult to lose 17C.

Bull****. Very easy if you are stark naked
and inactive in a strong wet wind at -20C

You have three ways to keep warm without
moving. Four if you have a friend with you.

Irrelevant to how many die of hypothermia.

And you can shiver indefinitely as long as you don't starve

Bull****. If that was true, people wouldn't
die of hypothermia, and they do anyway.

Do they?

Corse they do.

Or do people just say they died of cold
without looking into the real reason?

Nope. Its trivially easy to see what the real reason is.

Like saying someone "died of old age".

Nothing like in fact.

You can't - there's always a specific reason, like heart failure.

Irrelevant to whether it was the hypothermia that killed them.

(it does burn a lot of calories, and I've found
it an easy way to lose weight fast - you can
either just be cold, or even better be cold
while exercising, then you lose weight twofold).

My fingers don't mind the cold, they in fact go
RED to increase blood to them to prevent frostbite.

I would have thought everyone's does but I don;t
think that pre3vents frost bite, plenty of atric explorers
have experience frost bit and plenty choose top wear gloves.

It depends on how good your circulation is I guess.

Guess again.

I have no problems with cold fingers or toes.

Plenty do, they end up with frostbite.

Well I don't,

You would if you were actually stupid enough
to try sleeping in a snow drift when starkers.

so like I said, I have good circulation.

Bull****. You've just been active when you tried it.

Perfectly possible to swim in a hole in the ice.

Try sleeping in a snow drift starkers and you will die.