Posted to alt.home.repair
Davej Davej is offline

Default Fluorescent shop lights?

On Saturday, November 1, 2014 5:06:31 PM UTC-5, SBH wrote:
On 10/30/2014 11:27 PM, Davej wrote:
Any recommendations for ordinary 48" overhead shop lights? I've had bad luck with the cheap ones. Thanks.

As you read, the gist of the fixture is the ballast. You can purchase a
fairly cheap fixture from the big home stores but swapping with a good
Advance, GE, Philips electronic ballast will do wonders and last for
many years.

The difference between T8 and T12 is wattage, mercury, efficiency,
longer lasting and light output all favoring the T8, though, light
output isn't extremely noticeable.

The first thing I did with the HD fixture was replaced the ballast. That
was many years ago and the lamps are still doing well.

This makes me wonder if I should just replace the ballast in all the units that I now consider unreliable?