Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Flaw Repair

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:42:14 -0700 (PDT), Greg Guarino
wrote:

On Friday, October 31, 2014 7:03:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:14:44 -0400, Greg Guarino
wrote:

On 10/31/2014 10:02 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:41:53 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
From WoodSmith Tips

Lew

Easy Fix for Flaws:
Hide gaps and blemishes with this shop-made coverup.
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/10a60-189923

For some small flaws I've repaired, rather than mix the sawdust with glue, I've mix it with shellac or with the finish I'll be applying.

Sonny

Color me confused. If I mix sawdust with glue (what kind, BTW?) to fill
a hole, have I not created a spot that won't take stain or even finish?

That's the idea behind the sawdust. It's supposed to take the finish
the same way as the surrounding wood. Well, that's the theory,
anyway.

I get that. But if I get a fingerprint of glue on my project, that area will resist the finish, won't it? Can someone explain what's different about mixing sawdust with glue? Why does the sawdust take the finish in that case?

The idea is that there is sawdust on the surface. The glue is not
supposed to be slopped in like bondo with a little wood filler. You're
right, if there is no wood at the surface to take the finish, it's
going to look like glue.