Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Brake pedal goes half-way to the floor, only the first time

On 11/1/14, 11:32 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 02:54:20 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

On 10/31/14, 9:18 PM,
wrote:
What kind of vehicle are we talking about? Was it ever stated?
Both of my cars still have drum rear brakes, with self adjusters which
by their very design have a tendancy to fail to adjust the brakes -
particularly on cars with automatic transmissions where the driver
seldom if ever uses the parking brake - which adjusts the brakes when
it is applied.

I wondered, too. Found it (September 30):
"I hit a curb with my car and broke in half the right half-axle, broke a
big chunk out of the RF rim and a piece the size of a tea-cup saucer
from the tire too, cracked my lower suspension arm, and severed the
right ball joint (2000 Toyota Solara, only has a lower ball joint. I'm
not sure how many cars this story covers. "

That car seems to have disks all around. After gazing into my crystal
ball, I'll vote for runout. It could come from damage to the disk or
hub, or it could be a little rust from all the time it sat disassembled.

http://www.motorsforum.com/tech/disc...out-46368-.htm

It may take thousands of miles of wear before the pedal starts to pulse.
Micky may have caught it quickly enough to fix it without buying
parts... if it's rust or dirt.

Well, runout on a disc WILL cause the problem if it pushes the
pistons back - effectively "backing off the adjustment"

I've been too optimistic. How could the hub transmit enough force to
break an axle, crack a suspension arm, and sever a ball joint, without
being damaged? Hub runout should show that a new hub and bearing is
needed. An optimist could hope the disk is OK.