Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sharing fixed problem with our telco lines

I did have a look :

"URBAN MYTHS 126: PAVLOV'S DOG AND BONE

A FRIEND of a friend wrote to her telephone company to register a
vehement and most unusual complaint. The elderly widow was forever
being scolded by her relatives for not answering her phone. She
claimed they never rang. When the telephone did ring, it was
invariably preceded by three loud barks, in intervals, from her dog in
the yard. Yet when she got to the receiver there would be no one on
the line.

'How does my Spot know when the phone's going to ring,' fumed the
irate customer, 'when you don't even feed my calls through?' An
investigator duly arrived. He began testing the woman's hearing by
muttering insults under his breath. Each time, she shouted, 'I heard
that,' so the fault clearly didn't lie with her. The handset was
functioning normally as well. Eventually he hit on the problem. He
discovered that the dog in the yard had been fastened to a post that
also carried the telephone cable. The animal's chain had worn through
the cable and chafed at the core, which carried a small electrical
current to operate the system.

Each time someone rang up it caused a fur-raising, tingling
sensation in the dog's neck, causing it to jump up and bark.

On the third pulse, the cumulative stimulation reached the mutt's
bladder. The resultant puddle connecting with the wire was somehow
enough to complete a circuit, and the phone would then ring for hours
on end of its own volition.

The engineer made good the repair. 'There,' he said, patting the
dog. 'No charge.'"

What would you think ?