Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default 1977 22' Catalina Capri Sailboat - $700 (Marina Del Rey)

On 10/31/2014 10:45 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 08:08:45 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 09:55:37 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 10/30/2014 8:38 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Richard's "blanket statement" as I remember it was something like "I
wouldn't buy a boat that had to be painted" or something similar... It
seems like a perfectly legitimate statement.

snippage

Thanks, Capt'n.

I think he may have been a bit more adamant about it. Maybe to the point
of a Never Ever! but yeah, that was about the gist of it.

Which, without going into details was pretty much what I said about my
mate "the fiberglass guy". Who is quite willing to do you a re-coating
with gel-coat. If you are willing to pay for it.

All that sanding, rubbing and polishing costs money. Even in a
developing country :-)

It all depends on your personal standards, of course.

Some people think a chalky boat is the epitome of success - because
it takes no effort to maintain. And they are perfectly right -
for them.

Way back in the days of wooden boats I read an article in one of the
U.S. magazines extolling topside paints that chalked easily. The
writer said that they really hade the boot look good, longer, as when
you scrubbed the topsides mid season the chalkiness scrubbed off
taking the dirt and crud with it.

Here's one that went for really chalky paint:

http://tinyurl.com/kh59byr

Marty Haines hauled the Sea Pigeon every year, scraped and sanded her
for about a month, and then painted her with regular topsides paint.
He grew tired of that after 20 years and heard that house paint might
be a solution. So in 1981 he did the usual scraping and sanding, and
then painted her with regular latex house paint.

She looked great; chalked off dirt all the next season; and, when he
hauled her the next fall, all he had to do was sand her with an
orbital sander and re-paint. There was no chipping or peeling, and the
wood was in fine shape underneath.

Sea Pigeon was carvel-planked with traditional cotton caulked seams,
but with modern Thiokol caulking compound.

Marty sold her five years later, so I never learned how long it
worked. But it was a revelation to a lot of old-time owners of wooden
working boats in this area.

I was going to say that oakum was "traditional" and cotton would caul.

But then you said Thiokol.
You just KNOW that's gonna leak on a cold day!