Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default BT Usenet to cease

In message , polygonum
writes
On 31/10/2014 01:26, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Sam Plusnet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Received this email form BT today:

Your Usenet service is changing

On 3 December, we're stopping the Usenet service that comes with your
broadband because our partnership with Giganews is coming to an end.
snip.

I do like the nice phrasing "Our partnership with Giganews is coming to
an end."

This translates as

"We're cheapskates, so we've decided to stop paying the bill.
If you still want it, go buy your own (but do use the link provided so
we can get a kick-back for the introduction)"

There are several groups that I 'subscribe' to including
uk.rec.cars.maintenance, this one, sci.electronics.repair and a few
others. Until fairly recently, all were very active groups.

If the demand has dropped that much, couldn't the ISP have renegotiated
their contract with the third party? A few subs to the Berlin server
would have been enough if the demand has fallen as far as you fear. :-(

snip

Well, they could, but they are buisness.

There comes a point where you decide that something's just aren't worth
bothering with
--
Chris French