Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default 1977 22' Catalina Capri Sailboat - $700 (Marina Del Rey)

On 10/30/2014 8:38 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Richard's "blanket statement" as I remember it was something like "I
wouldn't buy a boat that had to be painted" or something similar... It
seems like a perfectly legitimate statement.

snippage

Thanks, Capt'n.

I think he may have been a bit more adamant about it. Maybe to the point
of a Never Ever! but yeah, that was about the gist of it.

Which, without going into details was pretty much what I said about my
mate "the fiberglass guy". Who is quite willing to do you a re-coating
with gel-coat. If you are willing to pay for it.

All that sanding, rubbing and polishing costs money. Even in a
developing country :-)

It all depends on your personal standards, of course.

Some people think a chalky boat is the epitome of success - because
it takes no effort to maintain. And they are perfectly right -
for them.

I take a different tack - (or maybe "they" do?) but I adore a nice
shiny hull.

I picked up my technique from a fellow who goes by the handle
Maine Sail. He has written an awful lot about repairing and
maintaining boats, and I have joined the choir there.

The best collection is he
http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners....play.php?f=135

I bought the Ryoby variable speed buffer he recommended - and learned
to use it. I's amazing what you can bring back from the dead that way.
(For various values of dead, of course!)

I started gelcoat craziness with our Capri 18, "Spirit". The surfaces
needed wet sanding first, then polishing. That took a week in all.
Sanding, buffing and waxing. But the finish lasted for years
afterwards, with only an occasional wash and wax.

"Temptress", our Capri 26, was the national fleet flagship for several
years. I didn't need much more incentive to go overboard on her.

But that's a lot more boat. I hired out the buffing part.
Happily!

Here is a link to Maine Sail's article about bringing gelcoat back to
life: http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners....d.php?t=117266

Another phobia picked up from the same source is silicone.
It's perhaps the most misused substance on the planet - or maybe
runs a close second to 3M 4200.

My deck hardware is bedded with high quality Butyl rubber tape.
Now, note: I said High-Quality and Tape (not cheap putty mashed out to
look like tape). The putty-tape is commonly used in RV construction
where it often contributes to hard-to-find leaks. It has no place on a
boat.

I've used Bed-It butyl tape on several boats and guarantee the results.
http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners....d.php?t=117172

And help for cored deck and hull penetrations:
How to keep water out of a balsa or plywood deck core.
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/sealing_the_deck

A lot of work?
Maybe.

But a job that doesn't have to be reworked all the time is worth the
extra expense and effort.
At least that's how I feel.

It all depends on your personal standards...