Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uncle Peter[_2_] Uncle Peter[_2_] is offline

Default (Totally OT question): The effects of extremecold....hypothermia etc

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:37:32 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 31 October 2014 11:55:27 UTC, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:50:56 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 31/10/2014 11:46, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:05:33 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Bod wrote

Uncle Peter made this incredible statement:

"This is a fact. -20C air does not make you cold, .
You might shiver if you were naked, but the
shivering will stop you getting any colder".

To me, it sounds like he's talking absolute bull****
and he should be sent to the funny farm, but is
there an element of truth in what he said?....

Nope. Its certainly possible to be quite active when
naked in -20C air and do fine, but just standing there
naked and shivering wont let you survive for long.

Active or not it doesn't matter. Shivering replaces active, it's the
same thing, your muscles are moving. You also have reduced blood flow
to the surface (all of you, not just your fingers and toes and other
sticky out things), and brown fat cells which generate heat directly
from calories.

Yup, which leads to frostbite on your extremities.

Your body won't allow that if you have a reasonably fit body.

your body doesn;t get the choice.

Your body is actually very resilient and can adjust blood flow to make heat go anywhere it wants.

I've gone hillwalking barefoot in the snow. My feet go cold and numb at first, then eventually they go red and warm up again.

and then your brain freezes and you post to usenet ;-)

I've never had a problem with my brain not working when I'm cold. Or drunk for that matter, maybe some people have weak brains.

--
You are The One. But not The One. The One who is not The One, but is Another One. But you are that One who is The One who is The Other One who is, in fact, The One. All is lost.