Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uncle Peter[_2_] Uncle Peter[_2_] is offline

Default (Totally OT question): The effects of extremecold....hypothermia etc

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:17:12 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:49:52 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

I've swum in a lake at 0C for 2 hours. Just made me shiver hard when I
got out for half an hour.

And what temperature was the
water?

I said above, 0C. There was ice floating on the surface. Last time I looked at my thermometer watch in those conditions, it read about 0.3.

http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/coastal_...pothermia#time
http://www.ussartf.org/cold_water_survival.htm
http://www.shipwrite.bc.ca/Chilling_truth.htm
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/su...er-d_1567.html

Water temp 0.3 C Exhaustion/unconsious 15 mins, survival 45 mins.

TBH rather too consistent numbers for my liking of web sources but
fit with memory from other sources.

I've seen times quoted from 4 minutes to 15 minutes for death, and this site says 2 hours: http://wildernessmedicinenewsletter....n-mythbusters/

I've swum in 0C for 2 hours as I said, and I was neither unconscious or dead. In fact afterwards I ate a sandwich then jogged home across the hills.

--
If you want a stable relationship....buy a horse.