Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (Totally OT question): The effects of extremecold....hypothermia etc

On Friday, 31 October 2014 11:48:23 UTC, Uncle Peter wrote:
2 degrees is required to MAKE you shiver. This (along with reduced blood flow to your skin and brown fat cells becoming active) prevents it going much further. You need to lose 17C to die.

and you will die, shivering just means you might last a little longer.

My fingers don't mind the cold, they in fact go RED to increase blood to them to prevent frostbite.

I would have thought everyone's does but I don;t think that pre3vents frost bite, plenty of atric explorers have experience frost bit and plenty choose top wear gloves.