Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sharing fixed problem with our telco lines

Had a siilar problem years ago. They used yto have to come and change my pair down the street as it had flooded plenty of times annd every tie it raind this would hapen. Only get one short ring and then nothing.

Whatevr corrosion was in there was obviously not linear. the lower voltages in off hok and tip were fine, but when that ring voltage came along it wpould tip and tell the coputer the phione had been picked up, but in this case didn;t stay shortd long enough to keep the call and not only did we not gt the call, we didn't even gt the CID so we could call people back. The line was also quite noisy.

I had had enough and basically whneever it hapened again I just told them to let me talk to a supervisor or someone who really knows what they're doig.. there was no more disconnect the interface box and all that ****, they KNEW the trunk line was compromised. I told them not to even bother coming to the house, just go down on Denison avenus and change out pair again. Once they started cooperating it went very smooth. Of course a history of all this was on record which did help.

Sometimes these companies have people who answer the phone scripted and they can't do anything, so juust cut to the chase, tell them you want someone higher on the food chain.

I remember AOL and their bull**** like this. After while I just told them right off the bat that I am an advanced user. I have laready tried the first five thigs they were going to say and I checksd that and got that and all that.

Companies also ant that money and that is the way it is set up. It used to be you could trust them but no more. Have your **** together before you even call them. I think that apllies to any tech support anymore.

Another interesting thing about AOL, one tie I couldn't gt on and it turned out my passwords were invalid. I called and they said I had been hacked so they would give e some temp passwords to use, and to change them at mya earliest convienience. ALL SEVEN PASSWORDS that had never ever been stored on my PC. Ever, I simply do not do that.

I said "So what you're saying is that YOU got hacked". After a sall delay the reply came in the affirmative.

Moral of the story - they will never take the blame unless they absolutely have to. I wonder how many copies of McJunkffes and Noruselesston they sold because people thought they had been hacked when they hadn't.