Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How can the same FM station appear at two different spots on the dial?

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 14:01:57 -0500, amdx wrote:

On 10/29/2014 1:11 AM, micky wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 16:39:16 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014, Paul Drahn wrote:

On 10/27/2014 9:32 AM, micky wrote:
How can the same FM station appear at two different spots on the dial?

To the person who complained recently that I was off topic, I'm sorry.
This is not about any repair it would be feasible to make. It's only
about electronics.

Where I live there are two FM radio stations, 88.1 which is only a few
miles away, and 88.5 which is 40 or 50 miles away.

Right now, only my expensive KLM radio plus any car radio gets the
second one well, but I've had some cheap radios that do almost as well.

I lose track of which radios those are, so I'll start tuning at 88.1 and
tune up very gradually. After a period of silence, when I get above
88.5 to what I'd estimate is 88.6 or .7 or .8 I get 88.1 again.

How is that happening? I know about harmonics, but that doesn't apply,
does it?

P.S. This means 88.5 doesn't come in at all. I've tried stretching
out the power cord, which on the cheap radios is usually the antenna.
Sometimes that helps but on most of the radios, 88.5 won't come in at
all.

P.P.S. 88.1 is WYPR Baltimore. 88.5 is WAMU in DC. Sometimes they
play the same thing, like during the top of the hour news, Diane Rehm,
etc. although WAMU is on a 5 or 10 second delay most of the time.
Because the topic and the voices can be the same it means I can't tell
for a while if I've gotten 88.5 or just another 'instance' of 88.1.

If you have the AFC on, the station will pop up at different dial locations
depending on which direction you are tuning. At least my old portable does.

I think I've noticed this too.

But the AFC wasn't on, because that would have made it almost impossible
to get a weak station like 88.5.

Well, I'm calling it weak because most radios won't get it, but Wikip
says that it's 50,000 watts ERF (sp?) but 88.1 is only 15,500 watts.
(also ERF? It didnt' say.) So maybe I'm calling it weak because it
farther away, in DC, not Baltimore where I live, but actually, there are
places north of here, farther from DC, the Westminster, Md. area, where
88.5 comes in well and 88.1 barely comes in. A friend moved to
Finksberg and she had to change to 88.5.

But maybe the FCC makes them arrange their antennas so that in the city
of Baltimore and its populous suburbs, 88.5 doesn't overpower 88.1.
But the frequencies are different, and there's no Baltimore 88.5, so why
would 88.5's antennas have to avoid the populous part of Baltimore, or
any part?

I had a local situation at 94.5MHz interfering with 94.3MHz. The
94.3MHz station is an out of town station and signal strength is weaker.
The interference was on all my radios. I called the Radio station
engineer and he suggested the engineer from the out of town station
probably put me up to making the call, this was not true. From the
conversation, I think he had got a lot of calls about the interference,
but he assured my the station was in compliance with FCC Reg's. It was
Hip Hop vs O'Reilly back then. It went on that way for years until the
station changed from Hip Hop to some other format, then the interference
went away.

Not surprising. The Hip Hop people are a bunch of trouble-makers.

From the miscellaneous drawer, that same expensive KLM radio that gets
88.5 well all the way from DC got 88.1 well too, not surprising since
it's a Baltmore station and that's where I am.

But about 6 months ago, there started to quite a bit of static (FM
static? Maybe I should listen to it again. Anyhow, it was hard to
listen to.) on the local station on the expensive radio. But all**
the other much cheaper radios continue to get the local station just
fine. So sometimes it pays to be cheap.

** I keep buying radios from the 60's and 70's at hamfests, looking for
one that will get 88.1, 88.5 and 101.1

Today I can't even find a semi local 94.3 MHz station.

LOL

Mikek