Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1977 22' Catalina Capri Sailboat - $700 (Marina Del Rey)

On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 10:54:15 AM UTC-7, Richard wrote:
On 10/29/2014 9:10 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 18:46:24 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 06:37:26 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

snip

Anyway, your sarcasm was misplaced, as was Richard's. I don't know
what the hell he was talking about regarding boat paints. And when you
popped off about PFDs, it was clear that you don't sail where we sail..

I think Richard was probably referring to the fact that most, if not
all, small production fiberglass boats have the hull finished with gel
coat and a boat requiring paint would be one on which the gel coat had
deteriorated to a considerable degree.

Enjoy your sailing in S.E.A., John.

Cheers,

John B.

It's true that failing gel coats on lightly-built fiberglass boats may
reflect fatigue in the hull layup, but I don't see that as a reason to
make a blanket statement about it. Strongly-built boats, like a Boston
Whaler, Black Watch, Cape Dory or Stone Horse, will FAR outlast their
gel coats, and it has nothing to do with fatigue -- because those
boats generally don't fatigue.

There's an entire industry dedicated to re-covering those boats. It
satarted with a spray-on replacement gel coat around 1960; progressed
a few years later to sprayed-on two-part epoxy; and, finally,
developed into re-coating with two-part polyurethanes, a lot like the
paint used on high-class custom cars.

And polyester gel coats are porous; they can get stained, or marked up
badly because of the way they were tied up at a dock.

Gunner is more likely talking about rolling on a coat of house paint
g, but I don't get why Richard was so dismissive about painting a
boat. There are a lot of boats around here right now that are dry
docked or up on stilts, having their topsides painted at the same time
they're getting a new coat of bottom paint, before the weather gets
too cold. Most of them are fiberglass boats.

Because once you paint a hull - even with the very best paints - the
maintenance truly begins.

But that's not the real problem here.

The REAL problem is that Gunner is a stalking troll.

Wieber tried that **** with me and I made it so painful and embarrassing for him that he stopped. Wieber now tries lame potshots here and there because he's a pussy. Frankly, I enjoy it when assholes try and **** with me be. It's especially easy because I don't try and be an expert like Wieber and slow eddy do on every subject. For the most part I stick with what I know which isn't sailboats, fiberglass, electronics, etc.