Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default 1977 22' Catalina Capri Sailboat - $700 (Marina Del Rey)

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:53:34 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 10/29/2014 9:10 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 18:46:24 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 06:37:26 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

snip

Anyway, your sarcasm was misplaced, as was Richard's. I don't know
what the hell he was talking about regarding boat paints. And when you
popped off about PFDs, it was clear that you don't sail where we sail.

I think Richard was probably referring to the fact that most, if not
all, small production fiberglass boats have the hull finished with gel
coat and a boat requiring paint would be one on which the gel coat had
deteriorated to a considerable degree.

Enjoy your sailing in S.E.A., John.

Cheers,

John B.

It's true that failing gel coats on lightly-built fiberglass boats may
reflect fatigue in the hull layup, but I don't see that as a reason to
make a blanket statement about it. Strongly-built boats, like a Boston
Whaler, Black Watch, Cape Dory or Stone Horse, will FAR outlast their
gel coats, and it has nothing to do with fatigue -- because those
boats generally don't fatigue.

There's an entire industry dedicated to re-covering those boats. It
satarted with a spray-on replacement gel coat around 1960; progressed
a few years later to sprayed-on two-part epoxy; and, finally,
developed into re-coating with two-part polyurethanes, a lot like the
paint used on high-class custom cars.

And polyester gel coats are porous; they can get stained, or marked up
badly because of the way they were tied up at a dock.

Gunner is more likely talking about rolling on a coat of house paint
g, but I don't get why Richard was so dismissive about painting a
boat. There are a lot of boats around here right now that are dry
docked or up on stilts, having their topsides painted at the same time
they're getting a new coat of bottom paint, before the weather gets
too cold. Most of them are fiberglass boats.

Because once you paint a hull - even with the very best paints - the
maintenance truly begins.

Reports on two-part polyurethanes suggest a 5 - 10 year life in a
marine environment. The "maintenance" troubles typically are the
result of poor preparation. An old polyester gel coat is weak and
porous. You have to sand most of it off. Most amateurs leave too much
of it on.

But that's not the real problem here.

The REAL problem is that Gunner is a stalking troll.

OK, I get that.

--
Ed Huntress