Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Brake pedal goes half-way to the floor, only the first time

On 10/29/14, 10:27 AM, micky wrote:
Brake pedal goes half-way to the floor, only the first time.

Finally driving my car again after it was laid up for 2 months.

I don't think it was like this 3 months ago.

When I first press the brake pedal, it goes half-way, but certainly not
all the way, to the floor, and at t hat point it stops the car very
well. If I press the pedal again within 2 or 3 minutes, it moves very
little before it's stopping the car.

If I wait maybe 15?? minutes, it's like the first sentence in the
previous paragraph.

What's the problem?

Bad master cylinder?

I'm foggy, but I think it could be a brake opening up mechanically, more
than normal, as you drive, gradually pushing fluid back into the master
cylinder.

If you have drums in the rear, one or both may need adjustment.
Sometimes pulling up the slack with the parking brake will act as a
temporary adjustment. If a rotor is warped, it could move the caliper
back and forth as you drive, gradually opening it.