Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default We started the 100-foot long 10-foot wide deck high up in theCalifornia redwoods

dpb wrote, on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 17:12:39 -0500:

Well, no, there's certainly been no mention of it and nothing in any of
the pictures I've seen is even _close_ to that...

There's almost no way you would have known how absolutely huge the
big redwood tree is downslope.

There were a few pictures of it, early on, in a different thread,
when we had laid the first few ladders and the cargo netting.

As you can tell from this diagram, there are three sets of trees
that matter, for our purposes (although many other trees exist):
http://i62.tinypic.com/ieeakx.gif

Here's a quick look downhill, from the path near the uphill path:
https://c3.staticflickr.com/3/2943/1...edf3ba0c_c.jpg

This is the uphill anchor point, on a small Monterey Pine tree:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3870/1...f45d19e2_b.jpg

Here's a picture of the two small redwoods at the 1/3 point:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3873/1...5bab3e26_c.jpg

Here's another picture of those small redwood trees where you
can see we strung a cargo net across so we could get to the big
redwood downslope:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3910/1...53fa993e_c.jpg

This cargo net is how we get over to the big redwood which is
about 30 or 40 feet downslope of the beginning of the netting:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3836/1...33459c63_c.jpg

But, I don't seem to have a picture of the big redwood for you,
so, I'll need to take one and upload it so you can see how massive
it is. It's about 100 feet downslope, and it's hard to get back
up that slope, so, I don't generally go down there unless I need
to. But, I'll do that for you, especially since you've been so
helpful with the engineering advice.