Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default We started the 100-foot long 10-foot wide deck high up in theCalifornia redwoods

Danny D. wrote, on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 20:48:36 +0000:

BTW, I created an animated GIF of the entire process, as I see it, but I
can't get Flickr to show the animations since Flickr turns an animated
GIF into a static JPG.

Flickr turned the animated GIF into a JPG but tinypic seems to keep
it as an animated GIF ...

Here's my rendition, as I understand the plans so far ...
http://i62.tinypic.com/ieeakx.gif

I am omitting the actual building structure, but what you see here
are the following:

1. The starting point, on a steep slope, with a path near the top:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5605/1...4969faac_z.jpg

2. All brown lines are 16-foot long lengths of lumber:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5610/1...71646329_z.jpg

3. This approximates the "ladder network" you've seen in the photos:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7580/1...ec2183b7_z.jpg

4. This was the first (thin) cable that went from tree to tree:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7572/1...7a87f618_z.jpg

5. From that thin cable, we hung two large safety cargo nets:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5614/1...e03d5577_z.jpg

6. Then we hung the thick cable, which was initially 250 feet long:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7554/1...bc487651_z.jpg

7. We sunk two fenceposts, so that the platform rested on the ground:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5611/1...9ae30e5e_z.jpg

8. Then we built & suspended the first 16-foot by 10-foot section:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7583/1...b43e6304_z.jpg

9. Yesterday, we hung the second 16-foot-long section which is a
foot or two shy of the smaller redwood pair of trees:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7575/1...ed414ac3_z.jpg

10. The plan is to add successive 16-foot sections, one by one:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3955/1...de5c06a0_z.jpg

11. We keep that up until we finally reach the big redwood tree:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5600/1...66bb66b1_z.jpg

12. And, finally, we'll add 8'x4' sheets of plywood as a railing:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7467/1...74bb6d59_z.jpg

After that, we begin to build the actual treehouse, complete with
WiFi, refrigerator, bar, running water, and heating (no kidding).

It will take time, of course, so, I'm not sure if I should continue
to update this thread, but, since we've never done this before, any
and all advice is welcome.

PS: Jeff Liebermann and SMS are both welcome to attend the Internet
WiFI setup party since they both live in the area!
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3953/1...1f28763d_b.jpg