Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default We started the 100-foot long 10-foot wide deck high up in the California redwoods

"Danny D." wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote, on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 02:05:05 +0000:

... in view of the - how shall we put it - challenging ? - nature of the
site, wouldn't it be a good idea to have your specs on one of those
strings around your neck ? And tools like hammers, roped to your belt ?

That's a good suggestion, as we have tools all over the place!
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3948/1...c6370a50_c.jpg

Boy oh boy ... I thought I was making a bit of a silly suggestion there ...

Usually, we tie in when we're out on the cable, with no firm footing:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3947/1...fee9cb37_b.jpg

Work clothes ?

And, we tie in when we're working on the steep slope below the deck:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3950/1...b042e8a8_b.jpg

That's concrete, yes ? Looks a little lean on the mix ... ?

The harnesses we use are the same ones we use for climbing the hills:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5602/1...2eb1ee32_b.jpg

Here's my setup, for example, as I was digging the fence post holes:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3950/1...b042e8a8_b.jpg

And, here's what I used when I had to double-line rappel downslope:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3932/1...03b1b22c_c.jpg

Even so, we've had a few of the typical gotchas, from dropping the
spool of wire (where it rolled a hundred or so feet downhill before
getting wedge under a fallen tree) to the inevitable search for missing
glasses and hammers.

Such is the nature of working in the trees...

Hmmmm ...

Arfa