Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B. slocomb John B. slocomb is offline

Default 1977 22' Catalina Capri Sailboat - $700 (Marina Del Rey)

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 11:00:06 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 19:52:53 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 02:00:18 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 22:21:39 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 10/26/2014 3:13 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Not all boats are Beaters.

In fact..most of the boats below in the two groups are NOT beaters,
but perfectly good usable boats. Yep..some need lines or a sail
patch..shrug.

Sail PATCH?

Are you for freaking real?

Buy a suit of sail.

Oh my, not in YOUR budget?

Punch a hole in a sail and spend $10 for a roll of sail tape..or spend
$1800 for a new sail. Your choice. As for me...Ill simply put on a
bit of sail tape and keep on sailing. You do know that is a suggested
item in offshore cruising kits right along with flare guns and
PFDs..right?

You know? I spent about 15 years living aboard and sailing off shore
and I don't believe I ever saw an "off shore cruising boat" that had
"sail tape". In fact I'm not sure that some of them would even knew
what it was. One reason, perhaps, is that a cruising sailor doesn't
punch a hole in a sail.

This is getting ridiculous, and it leaves me in the uncomfortable
position of defending Gunner. g

I'd like to know what you mean by "sailing offshore." If you mean
coastwise cruising, and if you head for harbor when the wind is above
20 knots, then more power to you. If you mean you're cruising in blue
water, and if you don't have sail tape in your emergency kit, then
you're one lucky dude. (What do you have in that kit, tarred rope and
a sailor's palm?) Or you buy new sails every year, you oversheet your
main so your batten pockets never luff and chafe...in which case,
you're still a lucky dude if you haven't gotten knocked overboard from
an unexpected jibe. g

I didn't give the term much thought as it is pretty commonly used for
other then day sailing. Perhaps "going somewhere" is better.

And nope, I really don't know anyone that "goes somewhere" that
carries "sail tape" in their stores. It isn't really much good except
for what Gunner described "punching a hole in your sail". As for
chaffed holes in batten pockets I think that a much preferred repair
would be to, perhaps, shorten the batten a bit and sew up the end of
the pocket. After all the tape won't hold for very long, and port
might be several weeks away.

And yes, my "sails ditty bag" has two "palms", a selection of needles,
rigging hook, twine, thread, etc.

And, if you single hand, as I always did, you take a bit of care about
accidental jibes. You can either rig a preventer or buy a jibe
preventer. On the other hand, a cruising boat usually has a deep
enough cockpit that they boom swings over your head.

I've never been a bluewater sailor, but I've done some coastwise
racing, and we *always* had sail tape and patch cloth in the emergency
kit. 'Never had to use them, but I never sailed outside, between
inlets, anyway, with anyone who didn't have a sail-repair kit with
them.

Racing is a very, very, different thing than cruising.

For that matter I never, in 15 years, met anyone with a "PFD", or at
least they wouldn't admit to even knowing what one was. A life jacket,
certainly, but a PFD? Oh la-de-dah, and a flick of the limp wrist to
you too.

They damned well better know what a PFD is. It's in the U.S. Coast
Guard regulations and the regulations of every state that I know of.

U.S. Coast Guard? Who are they?

Of course we call them "life jackets." But they're regulated as
"PFDs."

PFD's see:
The SOLAS requirements
http://www.pomorci.com/Propisi/80-10...Brakocevic.pdf
they don't seem to be required under international requirements :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.