Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scaling a bookcase

On 10/25/2014 9:29 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 10/24/2014 4:25 PM, MJ wrote:
Ok, I've got a design for a bookcase but it won't fit where I want it.
It's about 10 inches too long. The dimensions are 103.5 x 88 1/4 x 17
1/8. I can only fit less than 96 inches long. My question is, should I
just go ahead and shorten the shelves by the amount needed to fit
(which will have to happen anyways) or should I also shorten the
height of the bookcase as well (to try and keep it within the relative
design of the larger unit)?

I started to try and figure out the aspect ratio of the larger case
and then work backwards with that number to dimensions that would fit
in my spot, but I got a bit lost. So... I'd figured where else to ask
this question than this forum?

Any help, guidance would be most appreciative.

A bookcase, like a chair, is a functional item.

As with a chair, design for function first and foremost, and let form
take a backseat, so to speak.

+1

Not sure what your dilemma is, MJ. If you want to go with a maximum
width of 93" you can "shrink" and maintain proportions (height and width
only) by multiplying your original dimensions by .899 which will give
you a case 93" wide and 79 3/8" high.

If you want to shrink the depth as well, then it's just shy of 15 ½" deep.

But, as Karl says, FUNCTION over FORM. Build what you NEED and that
ain't necessarily what looks pretty.

As a person with over 5k books in the house, A bookcase holds books! I
build most of mine, my library I bought them. My beloved has better
style than I need. :-)

Martin