Posted to rec.woodworking
MJ[_5_] MJ[_5_] is offline

Default Scaling a bookcase

Not sure what your dilemma is, MJ. If you want to go with a maximum
width of 93" you can "shrink" and maintain proportions (height and width
only) by multiplying your original dimensions by .899 which will give
you a case 93" wide and 79 3/8" high.

If you want to shrink the depth as well, then it's just shy of 15 ½" deep.

But, as Karl says, FUNCTION over FORM. Build what you NEED and that
ain't necessarily what looks pretty.

Well, I generally agree (Form follows Function), but in this case this is a full wall system and getting the proportions right would, to me, means getting the right shape to the system. I appreciate your thoughts and I think they will work for me. The depth of the case is immaterial. There is an amount of applied moldings that provide ornament to the case and I don't want it to appear odd. I'll work out the details in Sketchup and see how that goes.

Again, thanks.

MJ