Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1977 22' Catalina Capri Sailboat - $700 (Marina Del Rey)

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 22:05:39 -0500, Richard
wrote:

Yeah, we had a Hunter 38 for a while.
It's nice enough, but too big to single hand comfortably.
900 square feet of sail - without the spinnaker.
Just too much boat for a small lake.
And big as a house to boot.

Too much trouble to take it out just to sail for an hour or so.

That's why I we downsized.
Fewer troubles, less expense, more fun.

What size ARE you looking for? First it was the sold keel
Capris...now?

Still interested in a Capri.

But they have keels. I thought you didnt want a full keel.

We have an O'Day 28, but I'd like to find a Capri 18 or Capri 22 -
wing keel - with trailer - for more that $1000.

So if someone offered you one for $500 you would turn it down......?

I don't have the energy it would take to restore a beater to a beauty.
I've done it before - twice.
It takes a hellofalot more work and money than you think.
At least to meet my standards.
I'm not interested in other people's standards.

It's one of those YMMV things.

Not all boats are Beaters.

In fact..most of the boats below in the two groups are NOT beaters,
but perfectly good usable boats. Yep..some need lines or a sail
patch..shrug. Some need paint..shrug again. Yup..there are some
beaters in there..but surprisingly few. I got a Santana 20 in "like
new" condition for a guy over in Morro Bay...for $1000. On a decent
trailer. He keeps inviting me to come sailing with him.

Got a Catalina 22 for another guy for $2000. Perfectly beautimus boat.
Owner died ..the widow was moving in with her daughter..had no need
for the boat. On a 4 yr old Aluminum trailer and only sailed in fresh
water. Mint!!

Found a 30' Oday for $3500. Fully loaded with 8 sails on board. LCD TV
mounted in the salon..full stereo, wifi, radar etc etc. Owner was in
the military and was moving on. Washington DC.

Etc etc.

You have signed up for my two groups..right?

Nope.
Wrong focus for me.

Wrong focus? Which focus might that be?

You keep talking in distant phrases and circles. You are on a beer
budget but you want a perfect new boat. Wish in one hand....

That Capri 22 the original thread was about was a perfectly good
boat..for $700. You cant even afford to spend $2k to have it shipped
to you. And you want a "new boat" which sells for $10k on average
when you find one. Hummm $2000 + $700 = $2700.....right?

You told me you sold the Oday. Whats up with that?

You want a boat, Ill find you one. You want to wish ...you are on your
own. Got lots of dreamers out there. They are as common as road kill
in the spring.

I got my Windrose 18 for $300..and the guy put 2 NEW tires on the
trailer. And still hasnt cashed my checks. He wanted it to go to
someone serious about using it.......

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke