Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Smoky house

In ,
Ed Pawlowski typed:
On 10/26/2014 10:05 AM, gonjah wrote:

I didn't address that part of his question because "I don't know".
To be honest, I don't know why it was recommended I have 4 more feet
extended on my wood stove chimney. My questions were more out of
curiosity. All I said was the chimney worked better on cold nights.

You need more for at least one of two reasons

1. better draft
2. Code. I forget the rule, but the chimney must be X feet above
anything within X feet of it.

OK, I looked it up
https://www.englanderstoves.com/help...tove/10-2.html
2 feet above anything within 10 feet.

I agree. That is basically what I was trying to explain in my earlier post
for gonjah. But the link that you provided explains it better.

Gonjah is wondering why someone suggested adding 4 more feet to the existing
chimney, and my guess is that the extra 4 feet would bring the chimney into
code and prevent down drafts by placing the top of the chimney at least 2
feet higher that anything within 10 feet of the chimney.