Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default Time Will Tell - Update

On 10/25/14, 1:15 PM, Dan Coby wrote:
On 10/25/2014 7:47 AM, Brewster wrote:

snip
When I was playing around with one of those cheap power monitor meters I
decided to check out my drill chargers (Milwaukee NiMH & Lion). Turns
out they suck about 4 watts each without batteries being charged. I took
an old-school timer switch and set it so it activates for 1 hour per
day. This keeps the batteries charged and saves me the 184 Watts (8W *
23 hours) a day. The timer didn't register on the power meter so I
assume it's maybe a Watt to power.
Total savings? Close to $0.10/year!

-BR

The pay back time is not that bad. If you are saving 184 watt hours

Not Watt hours, these are Watt/days.

Point being, having things on a timer can save some cash. My electric
water heater is on a timer, basically it is set to run for an hour in
the early morning, cost savings shows maybe 15% over the pre-timer days
(water heating is metered separately so it's easy to verify).
As pointed out however, sometimes the cost of equipment can far exceed
the savings 8^)

per day, then you are saving 67.16 kilowatt hours per year. If you
pay $0.12 per kilowatt hour then your savings is $8.06 per year. If
you pay $0.35 per kilowatt hour then your savings is $23.51 per year. (I
chose those rates since those are the numbers on the sliding scale
on my electric bill.)

Dan