Posted to alt.home.repair
gonjah[_3_] gonjah[_3_] is offline

Default Smoky house

On 10/25/2014 6:37 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
"gonjah" wrote in message
On 10/25/2014 1:32 PM, Bob F wrote:
gonjah wrote:
Out of curiosity: How high does the chimney
extent above the roof
where it comes out of the roof? My thought is
the chimney *might* not
be exposed to enough cold air. We used to get
smoke in the house when
it wasn't cold enough outside to get the
chimney cold enough to
create a good draft. Apologies if you've
already addressed this. I
haven't read all of the responses. I guess
another question could be:
How cold is it outside when you fire up your
fireplace? Is it
blustery cold or just cool outside? I could
only use my wood burning
stove when it was really cold. Otherwise it
would smoke up the place,
but my chimney was only about 4 feet above the
roof line. On *really*
cold nights it worked fine. But it wouldn't
get really cold until
late November. I wouldn't think of using it in
October.

CAn you explain to me why having a cold upper
chimney would increase the draft?
I can understand whay having cold air outside
might, but it seems that a cold
chimney itself would just cool the exhaust, and
lessen the draft, since the
draft is produced by the lesser density of HOT
gasses.

Probly not and make any since. I know it was
recommended I have about 4' more chimney
exposed. But I only had the one section. It
worked but it had to be cold outside. A wood
stove chimney isn't the same as a trad
fireplace. It comes like:

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Majest...FeQRMwodTmwAgw

I'm not sure what the OP has. Not following the
rest of the thread. Maybe someone can bail me
out, least I be the fool.

You never want a cold chimney, period. The change
in
draft is normal with changes in the weather. That
hot
column of air rising out of the chimney will rise
faster
in cold air than in warm air. And the hotter that
column
of air is the better the draft. When it's warm out
the fire
is laid low so the air column is cool. When the
weather
cools the stove is cranked up so the exhaust is
hotter.
Simple as that.

"A hot house has a clean chimney"

I wasn't advocating a cold chimney. That was Bob F that brought that up.
I didn't address that part of his question because "I don't know". To be
honest, I don't know why it was recommended I have 4 more feet extended
on my wood stove chimney. My questions were more out of curiosity. All I
said was the chimney worked better on cold nights.