Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Too cold? Not enough stirring? Or something else?

wrote in message

After 4 hours the finish seemed cured (the can recommends 3-4hrs). I
sanded with 220 and wiped clean with a slightly damp cloth.

It may be dry to the touch but it won't be cured for at least two weeks,
month is closer.

I hope you dried it after wiping with before the damp cloth before
applying coat #2.
____________

For the second coat (around 9pm) I had to change location, so I applied
the finish standing inside our apt with the project sitting outside on
the fire escape (on a cardboard box to catch drips). It was cold - about
50 degrees. I left it out there to off-gas for an hour, then brought it
inside to cute overnight. *Again the can was possibly not stirred well
enough.

The next day everything seemed fine other than a slight oily film (like
the project had the tiniest film of cooking oil over it). I figured it
would harden with heat and time, so I attached the aluminum mesh and
installed it... And now we have the problem.

If it had an oily film, regardless of how slight, you didn't stir it
enough. The 50 degree weather didn't help either.

Thoughts, guys? I'd love to avoid sanding this whole thing back to bare
wood (as it will be by hand on my kitchen floor).

Try wiping it down well with paint thinner. If the oily film goes away,
scuff sand and apply another coat after stirring well. "Well" = twice
what you think it needs.

--

dadiOH