Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Copper pipe - seam???

On 25/10/14 21:28, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/10/2014 20:14, Tim Watts wrote:
Never noticed before, but some pipe from my 3 year old stock (BES
sourced IIRC) shows what looks like a seam:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...951939/sizes/l

Curious... I *thought* copper pipe was drawn. Is that a welding seam or
just a mark from drawing.

That just looks like a scratch to me. Is it visible on the inside?

Dunno - I'll have a look tomorrow when I demount it to hole drill the
ceiling... Must be a manufacturing scratch though, because it is
absolutely regular and perfectly straight. Although this is my "stock"
that have been lying around for years, they have been stored nicely in a
box in the corner of a cupboard so I'm pretty sure I didn't cause it...

Better check it in case it might impact the seal on a compression
fitting as there's one going on the bottom end). Got several lenghts -
could relegate this to an all soldered section.

Anyone au-fait with pipe manufacturing?

I assumed it was extruded then drawn to final size.

Me too...

As I say, pretty sure BES supplied so it should not be some dodgey crap
from some dodgey manufacturer. Although another pipe did have some
noticeable pitting, but that could have been really old stuff left over
from the previous stock.