Posted to alt.home.repair
gonjah[_3_] gonjah[_3_] is offline

Default Smoky house

On 10/24/2014 5:19 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:30:24 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/23/2014 4:53 PM, philo wrote:
Do you stack the wood on a rack, keep it off the ground and cover it
with a tarpaulin while it seasons? That enhances moisture removal so
it burns more efficiently, less smoke, and better BTU.

Absolutely right

I've seen people stock a fire box inside
the house, near the wood stove. The heat
from the stove helps dry the wood, and
also slightly humidify the house.

Air for the stove is brought in through a 3" pipe from outside the house.
The top of the chimney is about a foot above the highest part of the roof.
The wood I burn is stacked in a covered shed open on three sides, off the
ground, for about a year or longer.

Your suggestion of stacking wood inside the house is a good one. I do that
to some extent but I don't have room for very much wood.

Out of curiosity: How high does the chimney extent above the roof where
it comes out of the roof? My thought is the chimney *might* not be
exposed to enough cold air. We used to get smoke in the house when it
wasn't cold enough outside to get the chimney cold enough to create a
good draft. Apologies if you've already addressed this. I haven't read
all of the responses. I guess another question could be: How cold is it
outside when you fire up your fireplace? Is it blustery cold or just
cool outside? I could only use my wood burning stove when it was really
cold. Otherwise it would smoke up the place, but my chimney was only
about 4 feet above the roof line. On *really* cold nights it worked
fine. But it wouldn't get really cold until late November. I wouldn't
think of using it in October.