Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default Time Will Tell - Update

On 10/20/14, 1:57 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:5444bd2c$0$44749
:

The major drawbacks to the Harbor Freight cordless drill is the
recharge time (3-5 hours) and there is no indication that the
battery is finished recharging.

Below is an automatic shut off circuit using standard shelf
componets.

Enjoy.

Lew
Hardwa

1, 6 circuit switched power outlet strip.
1, Manual 24 hour timer with two switched outlets.
2, LED night lights.

Directions:

Program the timer to be "ON" for 5 hours and
"OFF" for 19 hours.

I used "ON" at 00:00 (midnight) and "OFF" at 5:00 AM.

Plug timer into power outlet strip.

Plug an LED night light into power outlet strip.

Plug an LED night light into 24 hour timer outlet.

Plug the 24 VDC "WallWart" from the Harbor Freight
recharger module into a 24 hour timer outlet.

Plug 24 VDC plug from the "WallWart" into the
Harbor Freight recharger module and insert battery
to be recharged.

Plug power outlet strip into a source of power.

Rotate timer cam until it just touches the "ON" cam.

Turn the power outlet strip "ON".

snip
When I was playing around with one of those cheap power monitor meters I
decided to check out my drill chargers (Milwaukee NiMH & Lion). Turns
out they suck about 4 watts each without batteries being charged. I took
an old-school timer switch and set it so it activates for 1 hour per
day. This keeps the batteries charged and saves me the 184 Watts (8W *
23 hours) a day. The timer didn't register on the power meter so I
assume it's maybe a Watt to power.
Total savings? Close to $0.10/year!

-BR