Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Scaling a bookcase

On 10/24/2014 4:25 PM, MJ wrote:
Ok, I've got a design for a bookcase but it won't fit where I want it. It's about 10 inches too long. The dimensions are 103.5 x 88 1/4 x 17 1/8. I can only fit less than 96 inches long. My question is, should I just go ahead and shorten the shelves by the amount needed to fit (which will have to happen anyways) or should I also shorten the height of the bookcase as well (to try and keep it within the relative design of the larger unit)?

I started to try and figure out the aspect ratio of the larger case and then work backwards with that number to dimensions that would fit in my spot, but I got a bit lost. So... I'd figured where else to ask this question than this forum?

Any help, guidance would be most appreciative.

A bookcase, like a chair, is a functional item.

As with a chair, design for function first and foremost, and let form
take a backseat, so to speak.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net