Posted to rec.woodworking
jloomis[_2_] jloomis[_2_] is offline

Default Harbor Freight Oscillating Tool

I purchased the Fein tool several years back and see now that many companies
have come in with versions of their own, and so Harbor Freight has done this
also.
Yes, they are the most useful tools, and in a pinch, solve many issue's
otherwise not easily addressed.
Now if I can keep my tool in my repertoire of items that I can easily
access, I would love it!
My brother-in-law has borrowed the tool on a remodel, and I never see it
again......
Funny, it is one of those tools that when not there it is needed.....
I had to buy a new Jig Saw, since my (b-i-l) borrowed mine also.....
anyway, I am trying to help him out, with a rental remodel, and in the
process am missing arrows in my quiver.
I may have to buy some knock off tools to either give him or keep on hand
when needed....
Borrowing, lending tools is a nasty process.......
john

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
eb.com...

I have read numerous posts here and elsewhere about this tool. It is a much
cheaper version of the tool offered by others but seemed to do quite well in
real world situations. I have thought about getting the too a number of
times, but held off. Then I was pressed into service to do some repairs
around a number of doors on some storage sheds and garages. I figured it
would save some time and bought the variable speed oscillating tool with
some blades.

I have been working for about a week now and it has saved me at least an
hour and a half each day. In addition to that, there is a couple jobs I
simply could not do with another tool I have. The big job on the garage I
am doing is really giving this tool a full scale test. We had to raise a
sagging roof and put some beams under it. All the doors hung funny after
that. So I had to "make the doors fit". I don't think you could come up
with another job that shows off this little tool better than this one.

I had to cut away small pieces here and there. I had to get under layers of
various materials I had to shave the edge of a threshold. I had to carve
out small niches to install hasps, etc. I really honestly wonder how I
could have gone this long without getting this tool. I know I will find
other uses for it. My wife summed it up nicely when she said it was the
tool that makes things fit. And when you have to work on things that lean,
sag or just got straightened out, you need all the help you can get. I
still have at least three more days or work on these buildings.. I will
probably use up at least two blades.

One thing I noticed is that when one of the blades got dull, I just took a
file to it and sharpened it up again. It was good for some more cuts after
that. Any way, I don't really do this kind of work very often and it
definitely is not my favorite thing to do. But if I have to do something
like this, I know that little tool will make some things go faster and
easier. This tool is one that uses up blades. So there is a cost there.
But I won't be using it that much so that should not be a big expense item
for me.

I know this is not news for some of you. And some of you have talked about
your experiences with this tool. So I thought I would add my experiences.
It seems that it would lend it self to almost any kind of repair,
remodeling, installation and demolition job. I just glad I have it on the
shelf. I know I can grab it and do some things much more easily now.