Owen Lowe

Default Sealing Splated green wood

In article , "TT"
wrote:

There is a lot of spalting on some pieces and I want to seal
them for later turning. I read somewhere that I can use latex house paint as
an end grain sealer.

In addition to George's and Andrew's replies I'd like to add that latex
paint hasn't worked well for me at all. What's worked beautifully and is
quite inexpensive if you or a family member is a yardsailer is to look
for a 2-3" deep electric fry pan (the one's I see (and use) are about
12"x12"). Also have your scrounger look for candles. People sell those
big column candles for a buck or so; save all the holiday candles you
can get a hold of; etc. Melt them in the fryer on low heat and walla!
you have a bomb-proof end sealer. Just dip the ends of your logs into
the pan for a 3 or 4 seconds and let the excess drip off. Once the wax
has hardened give it a very quick second dip - just in and out.

When I have logs too large for the fryer I'll resort to an emulsion
sealer like AnchorSeal as I've found the fryer wax doesn't adhere well
to the log when it's painted on.

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____