Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default Scaling a bookcase

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:25:39 -0700 (PDT), MJ
wrote:

Ok, I've got a design for a bookcase but it won't fit where I want it. It's about 10 inches too long. The dimensions are 103.5 x 88 1/4 x 17 1/8. I can only fit less than 96 inches long. My question is, should I just go ahead and shorten the shelves by the amount needed to fit (which will have to happen anyways) or should I also shorten the height of the bookcase as well (to try and keep it within the relative design of the larger unit)?

I started to try and figure out the aspect ratio of the larger case and then work backwards with that number to dimensions that would fit in my spot, but I got a bit lost. So... I'd figured where else to ask this question than this forum?

Any help, guidance would be most appreciative.

MJ

I'd worry about the space between shelves. If scaling the height
makes the shelves too close together to be practical (assuming they
are fixed spacing) I'd leave the height at whatever dimension allows
sensible shelf spacing (or a reasonable number of shelves) for the
things you intend to put on the shelves.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI Vancouver BC
peterbb (at) telus.net