Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tractor Tales

Karl Townsend wrote:
So far the only difficult part was pulling the outer bearing race
from the axle housing . I ended up using the dremel to cut it to
release the tension . The only strange thing I found was 2 seals
back to back - hydraulic oil on one side , grease on the other .
Well , got the financing details worked out with the Mrs , gotta
move some money and get parts ordered .

Did i miss a post? What make and model are you doing?

You musta ... and more than one !
I got lucky and found a steal on a 1982 JD model 317 yard tractor with a
mower deck and front blade . So far I have got the motor running needs
plugs badly and tested the hydrostatic trans , and got all the busted/wore
out stuff removed and repaired/parts ordered . It had a trashed bearing on
the LR wheel that also took out the axle , hub , and bearings/seals . Right
now I'm looking at tires , and I'm leaning towards tractor type lugs instead
of turf tires . This thing is going to be pushing dirt and snow and mowing
the orchard - ain't no puttin' greens here and never will be .

--
Snag