Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How to plug a missing stem?

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 05:15:34 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:49:25 AM UTC-4, philo* wrote:
Very complicated, that's why I originally told you to just replace the
whole assembly, even if you do have to cut the wall open, you would have
been done by now.

No I wouldn't have been done. I might not be done even with shopping
for the new fixture, but if I was, soon atter that the plumbing would be
installed.. but I'id ha e a sheet of plastic taped to the wall and
hanging over tho hole where the plumbing fixtures stick out.

I'd have to reach under the plastic to trn the water on or off, and
I'd have to check the tape periodically to see if was still sticking.

Eventually i I would cut in some greenboard, or some kind of spackle,
but then I'd have to find somone to level it and replace the tile. I
can't make things level. Hopefully, I hadn't broken many of the tiles.

I have reluctantly decided that's the only way that makes sense.

Some of my plumbing is so old that when I do find the parts, something else breaks, and even if all goes right I still have a 30 year old fixture in the wall.

Seems to me, 30 years, or 35 like my house, is like brand new. 100
years is getting old, not because it's a long time but because methods
have improved since then. There are newer alternatives to the
standerd valves now, but they're still selling plenty of stuff jusl like
mine.

It's going to come out someday anyway, might as well be now.

Now that I have more pats, I have enough parts to last 30 more ears.
That makes me 97. I plan to die when I'm 93, so I'm trying to get a
reverse mortgage on the last 3 years of my plumbing.

You don't need to repair the wall, by the way; just put up a mirror.

This is the wall IN the tiled shower/bath, not a blank wall on the other
side. On the other side of the wall is a tiled shower.

And no valves to turn off the water afaik exept one the turns off both
upstairs bathoom, the kitchen sink and dishwasher. All but the powder
room, thel laundry sink, the washing machine, and the garden faucet.