Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How to plug a missing stem?

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:52:31 -0500, philo* wrote:

I did have one project where I did find an exact replacement for the
water valve assembly for my bathtub. So I was able to replace the whole
thing without too much of a problem. To try and repair the 40 year old
original would have been foolish.

There is supposed to be an access door /behind/ plumbing valves,
so this would be a good time to make one.

Many years ago I had to work on a friend's shower where the water only
came out in a trickle. The kitchen had been redone and drywall was
covering the access.

I used my Sawzall to gain access and nicked a copper pipe in the process
and caused a leak.

After I fixed the leak by soldering it, apparently steam in the pipe
cleared the clog...
so my clumsiness turned out to have been good.

Wow. What a lucky fluke!

I also absolutely stopped doing /any/ type of plumbing work for friends
after that!