Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Shed Question

On 10/23/2014 11:14 AM, Casper wrote:

In the future, only the skirt will need to be replaced and no additional cutting for the
repaired sections, i.e., pop the old one off, install a new one. Caulk the seams.
Sonny

I like the idea of being able to replace just the skirt in the future.
I plan to dig out some of the ground next spring, edge and fill it in
with rock. Not sure if we'll do that to both sides. Muddiest area
seems to be between the house and shed.

Rethink that plan, Casper

I really liked the tip on this as presented, however, at my home, the
areas where I am having the problem with siding rotting out due to water
exposure are a) where concrete extends right up to the foundation and b)
where the area beneath the drip line from the roof, was dug out and
"finished" with gravel (septic stone, actually). Water hits either
surface and bounces back up 4" - 7" or so and soaks in.

Where there are evergreens, ground cover, etc. there is no problem. You
might do better with gutters and downspouts. Based on my experience, a
hard surface isn't going to help.