Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tractor Tales

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 21:07:02 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 20:11:04 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:47:20 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

The patient will live ! I've been working on his thing all week ,
today I fired it up and checked out the transmission . Motor runs
but needs plugs and the correct type of ignition coil , trans goes
faster/slower/reverses as it should .
Time to start throwing money at it !

Congrats on a good surgery, Snag. That's always a relief when you
get a goner back on the road.

Actually , it was only minor surgery ... and may actually have been

As it should be.

unnecessary . I pulled the starter - which means unbolting the motor
and pulling it out- and cleaned and oiled it . Got all the tin off
the tractor except the column that houses the battery/steering gear/
etc . Tomorrow I start ordering parts ... I wasn't about to start
spending any serious money before I knew the machine was worth
repairing . Apart from the axle and a

Axle problems? That can be big money.

set of tires

Eek, tires, too? That's a definite lot of money.

it looks like the only other problems are a bit too much slop
in the steering box and a blade missing from the hydro pump cooling
fan .

OK, those could be minor.

I've already located all the parts needed for the axle problems , around
a hundred bucks for used everything but the bearing and seal on eBay .

Do you have the tools required? I've heard they can be, um,
interestingly assembled.

Still shopping tires , but a pair for the rear will run around 150 bucks .

Wow, that's a steal!

Fronts might be able to get away with just new tubes .

That'd be nice.

Steering is probably
an adjustment and I have stock that'll work for a blade that'll at least
balance the fan . I suspect the PO looked for the cause of the vibration and
never found it . It does explain all the fatigue cracks in the sheet metal .

No doubt. g

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.