Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Making a cupboard door

On 23/10/2014 17:57, Lee wrote:
On 22/10/2014 20:27, PAJ wrote:
I need to make a cupboard door. Size is 990mm x 915mm with a maximum
thickness of 37mm. It will be to replace two existing hollow doors on
a large bedroom cupboard. The idea in having a single door is so that
a TV can be mounted on it.
The door fits into a conventional door frame as installed by the
builders so is flush with the front of the frame.

Initially I thought about making a hollow door with lap joints at the
corners and a vertical rib to take the TV mount and then cover it with
MDF which will be painted. Then I wondered if I was over complicating
things and I should just use a sheet of 18mm MDF. MDF would be about
12Kg and the TV about 5Kg so heavy but not massively so. The problem
with this solution would be the hinges - I don't like the idea of
screwing into the edge of the MDF. Googling shows that other people
either do it without a problem or set dowels into the edge and then
screw into these. So anyone have any thoughts?

Peter.

I'd stick with the "hollow" door, but I'd go for 3mm hardboard either
side so the wooden frame can be thicker. Can always use a bit of foam or
glued in cardboard if "bounce" is an issue.
Don't make the mistake I made last time I was in a rush and pin the
hardboard, rather than gluing it though - or the pins show through

Me too. Since you have the room to make it "thick" you have plenty of
meat to fit whatever type of hinges you choose. Hardboard or plywood or
thin MDF would do for the facings, personally I would screw and glue and
then you should have plenty of stiffness against "sag".