nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Yes, I remember that, but it was 30 years ago, and it was in a different building. Quebec has it's own government (just like each province has), and the Quebec government is called the National Assembly. The shooting yesterday occured in the building which houses the federal government of Canada. (we have too many governments governing us)

Still, if something happened 30 years ago, by now our guard is down. I think it's only North and South Korea that still have their guard up against each other after, what, 65 or so years now?

But, information about the shooter is now coming out. Apparantly he was living in a homeless shelter in Ottawa for the past few weeks, and people that knew him say he was battling a drug addiction. Those people are saying that he may have realized that he was hopelessly addicted and decided to "commit suicide by cop". Apparantly, his mother, who also lives in Ottawa, says that she spoke with him a few weeks ago, that that was the last time that she had any contact with him for about 5 years! That, to me, indicates a completely dysfunctional family when a son and his mother go for that long without any contact whatsoever. He had accumulated a long criminal record in British Columbia and was well known to police there.

Long story short, this guy seems to have been a train wreck waiting to happen his whole life.