Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default We started the 100-foot long 10-foot wide deck high up in theCalifornia redwoods

On 10/23/2014 12:40 PM, CRNG wrote:
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:13:06 -0500, wrote in

So, the decking alone is roughly 90% of the rated breaking strength and
adding a 200 lb person is 100/0.2--500 lb.

You'll gain a little by considering the decking as a distributed instead
of point load, but that'll be only a marginal improvement and you'll
likely lose some (and potentially a lot) for the non-uniform geometry on
the downhill side as that side may be almost perfectly horizontal so the
amplification factor of 1/sin(theta) goes way up as Morgans feared
(hence his 10X estimate).

THIS IS VERY BAD...

I don't think they are taking heed. They have been successful with
their little neighborhood projects, and they are starting to get over
confident.

I think Danny D is reading responses but the friend-in-charge is
apparently bullheaded-enough to not be willing to reconsider there's
anything to consider other than tensile strength in straight loading.

I do suggest that Danny not be committing himself to relying on this for
support from this point on as it's getting at least marginal already.
Of course, if the droop angles are significantly larger than the assumed
10 degree or so, then they gain a fair amount by there being a larger
vertical component but it's too spooky by far as described and shown.