Ed Sirett

Default Advice on living flame gas fire

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:13:48 +0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

It is a very good idea for someone to check the flue every year.

I happened to glance at the living flame fire we have the other day, and
at the top where the flue is, I noticed a dusty deposit on the metal trim
that holds the back panel in place, which looked as though it might be
almost 1mm "thick" in places over a width of about 5". The house does and
always has seemed dusty, although it improved when we replaced old felt
underlay when we got a new carpet laid a few years ago. The fire tends to
be on 24/7 (on "half") from September onwards :-}

Should I be overly concerned at the moment ?

Well appliances should be serviced.

The fire has been in for ~6 years, and has had the OSD replaced once
about 3 years ago - we have a carbon monoxide detector and that`s showing
nothing worrying (brand new one from the BG install of the MIL`s CH the
other week). When the fire was installed it needed some minor blockwork
to accomodate it, and the chimney was swept at the same time.

These sensors from BG are pure customer expectation massaging and nothing to do
safety. It is almost certain that they installed a room sealed boiler so
what were they doing adding a CO detector?
It will do _some_ good in your home, regular servicing and checking more
so.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk